We've caught Halloween fever! This coconut caramel pairs perfectly with our salty coconut bacon. It's a grown-up caramel apple, sort of ;)
Don't be scared of making caramel- we swear this might be the easiest recipe we ever post!
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup coconut cream*
1/8 tsp salt
*You can buy coconut cream (like the kind from Trader Joe's) or you can buy full fat coconut milk. Put the full fat coconut milk into the refrigerator and the cream will rise to the top and solidify. Skim the coconut cream from the top and use it to make your caramel.
- Add sugar, vanilla, coconut cream and salt into a pot over very high heat. I used a much bigger pot then I needed because the mixture will get very hot and bubble a lot.
- Stir all of the ingredients together until completely combined.
- Continue to stir the ingredients together until the mixture is bubbling and rising. This should only take one to two minutes.
- Once it's bubbling, continue to stir for about a minute longer.
- Reduce to low heat- I almost turned my stove off at this point but we have a wonky stove! Stir for another minute over low heat.
- Take off the heat and let sit for two minutes. It'll firm up and get sticky fast!
- Dip your apples in!
- Coat in whatever you'd like- we recommend coconut bacon ;)