Let's face it, maple and bacon is one righteous combination. This sweet treat utilizes that combo to its greatest potential, but does so without having to deep fry the donuts. Make this recipe to get all the glory of maple, bacon and donuts, without any of the guilt of fried food and dead animals.
Vegan Baked Maple Coconut Bacon Donuts
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup non-dairy milk
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp egg replacer
2 tablespoons melted Earth Balance
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
5 tablespoons maple syrup
- Spray a donut pan with non-stick spray.
- Add apple cider vinegar to your soy milk and set aside- it may curdle but it’s supposed to!
- Combine all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, egg replacer in a bowl and create a well in the middle.
- Add melted Earth Balance, vanilla extract, maple syrup, and apple cider vinegar-milk mixture into the well.
- Stir everything together but don’t over mix- over mixing can result in a firmer/more dense donut.
- Spoon batter into donut pans, filling about 2/3 of the well.
- Bake for 8-9 minutes and allow them to cool completely before taking them out of the pan. Glaze when completely cool.
1 ½ cups powdered sugar
3 tablespoons maple syrup
- Whisk together powdered sugar and maple syrup. If you want a thinner glaze, add more maple syrup, if you want a thicker glaze, use less.
- Dip donut into the glaze and sprinkle with coconut bacon immediately.
- Put on wax paper or on a rack to allow the glaze to thicken up/harden.
The Phoney Baloney's Coconut Bacon is available for purchase online here!
(P.S Those Amazon links aren't affiliate links or anything- I just thought Amazon was the easiest way to give visual images of what items we used!)