We're ending our Eggless Easter recipes with a simple guide to making tofu egg patties. These patties are quick to make, and you can freeze them to turn breakfast sandwiches into an easy breakfast option!.
We love making these and switching up the fake meats we'll use with them. We've done everything from coconut bacon to Field Roast breakfast sausages. If you're a fan of sweet and salty, you can add jelly to whatever you use as your bun. Or, if you're going for the ULTIMATE sweet and salty breakfast sandwich like we were, you can use a glazed donut as your bun!
The Ultimate Breakfast Sandwich
1 block extra firm tofu
Oil for frying
1/4 cup corn starch
2 individual serving Rations Tofu Scramble Seasoning
Glazed vegan donut from The Donuttery (or an English muffin! Whatever you want as a bun.)
Breakfast sausage, we used the Ralphs Simple Truth brand but Gardein works! Prepare according to the package.
Follow Your Heart American cheese slice
- Drain the water from your package of tofu. If you want to make perfect circle patties, use a circle cookie cutter and go straight through the entire block. You can save the edges for a small scramble, or even to blend up and make a small strata.
- Pour oil into the pan you're going to use. You don't need to put enough oil in to completely cover the patties, you can do a shallow fry. I would recommend enough oil to cover 1/2 of the thickness of the patties you'll be cutting. Set your stove to medium-high heat.
- Slice the tofu tube you made with the cookie cutter into 3-4 patties, depending on the thickness you want.
- Dredge the patties in corn starch. Make sure they are completely covered in the corn starch.
- Dredge the patties in your Rations Tofu Scramble Seasoning. It's okay if you don't get it completely coated, but it should be mostly covered in the seasoning.
- Once your oil is at medium-high, carefully put the patties into the oil. The more patties you put into the oil, the quicker the temperature of the oil will drop. I recommend doing 2 patties at a time, to keep the oil as hot as possible so you can get a nice fry on the outer shell. If your patties stick to the pan, your oil was not hot enough.
- Fry on one side for 2 minutes, then flip and fry on the other side for 2 minutes.
- Set your cooked patties on a paper towel, this will soak up some of the excess oil!
- Slice your donut in half, pile on a tofu egg patty, a piece of sausage, and a slice of cheese.