If you're looking for a quick and delicious sandwich that's packed with protein but also the creaminess of something more decadent, tofu egg salad is a classic choice. You're likely to have everything on hand to make this and it's really easy to throw together at the beginning of the week, making packing a lunch later completely painless.
When Phoney Baloney's operated as a sandwich shop, it was located inside of a small gym. This tofu egg salad recipe was once a special on the menu and managed to win over a group of protein-lifting-bro types who couldn't believe that they weren't eating eggs. If you're looking to fool a friend or loved one with an egg recipe, here's your ticket! Just tell them you used leftover Easter eggs and then watch the amazement when you let them know they're eating VEGAN brotein in the form of tofu!
We're big fans of the way M Cafe in Los Angeles serves their own tofu egg salad: extra mayo on toasted bread and a generous serving of avocado on top. Obviously, this is not for those people who have a fear of healthy fats, but it sure is a tasty treat for us level-headed vegans!
Classic Tofu Egg Salad
1 block extra firm tofu, preferably pressed
2 tsp relish
1/4 cup Vegenaise, the original OG vegan mayo
3 tbsp mustard
1/4 tsp dill
1/4 small red onion
2 celery stalks
1/2 tbsp lemon juice
One single use pack Rations Tofu Scramble Seasoning
- While your tofu is pressing, make the "dressing" by combining the relish, Vegenaise, mustard, dill, lemon juice and Rations Tofu Scramble Seasoning.
- Chop the celery into thin slivers. This will add crunch but won't be too bulky.
- Dice your onion, we like ours diced pretty small. Again, this adds crunch. Andrea is not a red onion fan so we generally keep it pretty small.
- Crumble the tofu by hand right into the dressing. Mix it together until it's fully covered. Kyle does all of this by hand because he likes to make messes.
- Once the tofu is well covered in the dressing, add the chopped celery and onion in. Get your hands messy once more and combine everything together well.
- Chill and then eat up whenever you're ready to go at it! The longer this sits, the longer the flavors meld together.