Anything you can eat, I can eat vegan. Bacon cheese balls are NO exception.
This cheese ball is perfect for a fancy schmancy wine & cheese night, or if you're a bearded man [read:Kyle], paired with a hearty porter or stout.
My only tips for a tasty cheese ball are:
- Taste as you go! Adjust your spices accordingly.
- Lemon adds to the tangy-cheesy flavor, but be careful not to add too much!
- If you're finding your cheese ball to be too crumbly, add a bit of olive oil to smooth it all out
Vegan Coconut Bacon Cheese Ball
1 cup raw or roasted cashews (I prefer roasted)
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1/3 block of tofu (I used extra firm, just don't use silken)
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp liquid smoke (remember, you're adding smokey bacon to it, so don't over do it!)
4 tsp paprika
3 tsp yellow mustard
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tbps onion powder
Coconut Bacon (around 1/3 of a cup)
- Add the nuts to a food processor and let it run on high until the nuts look like bread crumbs.
- Add the tofu, lemon juice, liquid smoke, and yellow mustard to the nut mixture.
- Add nutritional yeast, paprika, garlic, and onion. Let the food processor run until everything comes together in a dough.
- If your dough is too dry, add some olive oil.
- Pour coconut bacon into a bowl.
- Take the mixture out of the food processor and form into a ball. Roll the ball around in the bacon until the bacon is wedged into the surface.
- Cover the cheese ball, and place it in the fridge. This will let all the flavors settle and come together. It will firm up and become sliceable after a few hours. If you want a softer cheese, leave it in the fridge for less time.
- Eat with crackers or bread or with a spoon or a fork. Whatever floats your boat.